Ohioblog: A Swing State Journal
Tuesday, September 07, 2004
Northeast Ohio has many assets. Manufacturing used to one of them. Now instead of making tires and parts that make cars work, among our assets is the Cleveland Heights monthly publication, Funny Times. It is, as you might suppose, funny. With an assortment of ``Humor, Politics and Fun,'' it features something for everyone, including those who value their illustrations as much as words.
In the September 2004 edition, co-publishers Ray Lesser and Susan Wolpert share, among many other goodies, a Political Science list from the Curmudgeon collected by Jon Winokur. The list includes some of Ohioblog's favorite political bromides, a couple of them worth sharing:
- ``A `gaffe' occurs not when a politician lies, but when he tells the truth.'' - Michael Kinsley.
- ``A politician will always be there when he needs you.'' - Richard Smolik.
- ``Some people say we need a third party in this country. I think we could use a second one.'' - Jim Hightower.
- ``A conservative Republican is one who doesn't believe anything new should be tried for the first time. A liberal Republican is one who does belive something should be tried for the first time - but not now.'' - Mort Sahl.
- ``Anybody who wants the presidency so much that he'll spend two years organizing and campaigning for
it is not to be trusted with the office.'' - David Broder
Funny Times sends Ohioblog a complimentary copy every now and then and seeks a regular subscription in return. Ohioblog would like to oblige but cannot afford it without becoming a politician or getting a fourth job.
posted by Ohioblog: A Swing State Journal at 8:19 PM
Copyright 2004 Knight Ridder. All rights reserved. Any copying, redistribution or retransmission of any
of the contents of this service without the express written consent of Knight Ridder is expressly prohibited.