Back to your local site:
 


Related sites

Knight Ridder Washington Bureau: Making sense of Washington and the world.


Knight Ridder election blogs
  • Hot off the Trail
  • Life of the Parties
  • Ozblog
  • Ohioblog
  • Campaign Extra!
  • Infomaniac: WeBlog
  • Free-Fire Zone
  • Debate This!


  • Blogroll
  • Jay Rosen's PressThink
  • Yahoo's Blog Roundup
  • Feedster's Politics Page
  • Technorati Election Watch
  • Romenesko
  • CyberJournalist
  • Lost Remote
  • TV Newser
  • Blogging of the President
  • Tapped
  • Nat. Review's The Corner
  • The Command Post
  • Daily Kos
  • Campaign Desk
  • Scripting News
  • Roger L. Simon
  • Matt Welch
  • KausFiles
  • ABC's The Note
  • Tacitus
  • Power Line
  • Blogs for Bush
  • OxBlog
  • Talk Left
  • Political Wire
  • Glenn Reynolds: Instapundit
  • Jeff Jarvis: Buzzmachine
  • Talking Points Memo
  • Betsy's Page




  • Ohioblog: A Swing State Journal





    Monday, September 20, 2004

    Ohioblog 101 

    Since Mike Needs, the Akron Beacon Journal's public editor, was kind enough to mention Ohioblog in his Sunday column and to encourage visits here, it seems appropriate to welcome newcomers and to explain what this blog attempts to do.

    Editors at the Beacon Journal conceived this blog and, after some discussion,turned it over to me. The idea: put an Ohiocentric slant on this important presidential election in what may be the most critical of battleground states.

    I fall into a category in the blogosphere that might be called the enemy camp. I come from mainstream journalism, and, Dan Rather, Jayson Blair and a few others others aside, respect the craft and those who perform it. Many bloggers, working with neither a journalist's constrictions nor conscience, can and do write opinions unsupportable by either fact or, I think, experience.

    Experience I have: more than 20 years at the Beacon Journal, more than 35 years in journalism. I bring to these daily mini-essays a background in politics and editorial writing, in repoting on and forming opinions for columns about sports,
    books, culture and almost every other conceivable subject. I may not always know what I'm talking about, but I can usually sound as if I do.

    My habit is to scour Ohio's newspapers, a number of others from around the nation, hit a few of the blogs I find reliable and interesting and share with Ohioblog readers the best of what I've found and that which is most pertinent, in my opinion, to Ohio and this election. I fall short of being nonpartisan, but I try to be fair and point out the bright lights and the dim bulbs on both sides. I have opinions, and I don't keep them to myself, though I do try to soft-pedal them more than I might in a traditional column.

    Though blogging requires a substantial amount of time glued to a chair in front of a computer screen, I do get out. I advice the Buchtelite, the independent (that means the staff does not have to take my advice) college newspaper at the University of Akron. I also sell books at Barnes & Noble Booksellers (I've even written some of those I sell).

    These ventures put me in touch with people in a personal way, but the odd thing is, so does Ohioblog. I know you're out there, even if I can't see you.

    - Steve Love


    posted by Ohioblog: A Swing State Journal at 10:39 AM



     Latest posts

       •  Initiatives could change everything
       •  At least Fingerhut's winning one race
       •  You call those priorities?
       •  Time to slink off or speak up
       •  Intolerance: Revenge of the sign snatchers
       •  More intolerance: A poor man's Zell Miller
       •  Taft: Republican anchor man
       •  Blogging on Ohio's bogged down economy
       •  Seeing through the smoke in Central Ohio
       •  Does Jimmy Carter know about this?


     Archives
       •  July 2004
       •  August 2004
       •  September 2004
       •  October 2004
       •  November 2004


    XML-RSS feed










    About Realcities Network | About Knight Ridder | Terms of Use & Privacy Statement

    Copyright 2004 Knight Ridder. All rights reserved. Any copying, redistribution or retransmission of any
    of the contents of this service without the express written consent of Knight Ridder is expressly prohibited.