Ohioblog: A Swing State Journal
Saturday, September 04, 2004
Briefly through the blogosphere:
- It is deadly to even bring up the name Michael Dukakis. Now, Glenn Reynolds has written an essay about the John Kerry-Dukakis parallels.
- Instapundit.com, another Reynolds production, explores thoroughly the dustup caused by an errant Associated Press story that reported boos followed President Bush's request for prayers for President Clinton, who must undergo a quadruple bypass.
- Karen Hughes, stay-at-home Bush adviser is back with a passion as her response to the ``boo'' boo-boo story would indicate.
- Separating truths from crap always has been difficult in campaigns. It is not made easier by the Republican attack machine. Check out the Washington Post's fact-checking effort.
- Say what you will about Bill Clinton but the former president has always seemed like the rest of us, fallible, sometimes frightened, often funny. He was the latter after admitting he was``a little scared but not much'' about quadruple bypass surgery. ``Let me just say this,'' Clinton told Larry King, ``Republicans aren't the only people who want four more years here.''
- An email to Andrew Sullivan notes something Ohioblog thought happened (or, didn't happen) at the Republican National Convention but couldn't believe it. Where was Mary Cheney as the president and vice president celebrated their nominations onstage? Guess dad can
defend Mary's right to her lesbian lifestyle but he isn't about to flaunt it in front of the red-meat, conservative delegates. Shame on their hard hearts, one and all.
- It isn't difficult to find President Bush these days. Just look for him here in Ohio. Now, comes a story in Salon by Mary Jacobs detailing the president's ``missing year,'' you know, the one he was supposed to be attending those National Guard meetings in Alabama.
- What reminds us of golf during this political campaign: the mulligans or do-overs; if only we all got them.
That's all for now. Enjoy your Labor Day. Those of us here in Ohio either without jobs or with three jobs required to replace one salute you.
- Steve Love
posted by Ohioblog: A Swing State Journal at 9:25 PM
Copyright 2004 Knight Ridder. All rights reserved. Any copying, redistribution or retransmission of any
of the contents of this service without the express written consent of Knight Ridder is expressly prohibited.